Sunday, June 30, 2013

Body: More Gel stripping.

So the roof is done, aside form the window frame edges. Waiting to do those until I can find a safe way to remove the chrome trim. Have to be careful because replacing those rain guards is expensive since their out of production.


Now that the paint is gone, we can try to fix that dent above the passenger door. Hopefully dry ice and a heat gun will make pull the dent. More on that later.


The hood is at about 90%. The bottom edge needs some more gel. Had to stop though. Once the sun hits the metal it gets too hot and the gel melts/evaporates before it can work it's voodoo magic. For the most part, no surprises on the hood.

The stripping gel does have one odd affect that I need to figure out whats up with.


On the left, a section of hood that was grindered with an abrasive stripping disc. The right, stripping gel and a straight edge scrapper.

Their both bare metal, but I worry that there's a noticeable surface difference that will affect primers ability to grip into the metal. I suspect I still need to grinder over the car, but now there won't be 70lbs of lead paint dust in my garage.

Also, looking into hood scoops. Thinking about the Datsun Competition Scoop. Requires a big hole cut in the hood, but a great way to let hot air out of the hood, and maybe even help with aerodynamics.


2 comments:

  1. I really love and admire what you are doing to the already lovely datsun I also dream of actually doing a job similiar to this plus a little more ever growing intricit work my self keep up the good work .....cheers mate from MI with <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your blog and I noticed some useful tips about best car accessories from this post.Thanks for sharing unique information about car accessories.

    glasgow mot & mazda car repairs

    ReplyDelete