Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Engines: 13b Rotary. No really!

Sorry for the long gap. New job, summer heat, sisters wedding, blah blah blah. I'm back for a little while.

While I was off, I kept thinking about engines. Yes, the RB25det will be a great choice. We have a crossmember and everything.

But then I saw this.


So, when I first thought about a rotary I thought about the two really big dogs. The Twin Turbo 13b-REW and the 20b-REW Three rotor. I forgot all about the TurboII RX-7 that had a single turbo 13b-RE making about 200hp. What interests me is those engine mount brackets. See how they angle diagonally. Very similar to the crossmember for the RB25det I have.


With a little bit of work, it might be very possible to put a 13b in our chassis. The 13b is a very desirable choice due to it's low size and weight with big power potential. A fully dressed turbo 13b with transmission should weigh in around 400-450lbs.

Why a 13b? Is it any good?

Very good. A healthy 13b Turbo with a proper setup can put 300-350 wheel horsepower down with lower boost numbers thanks to the unique way the rotary engine spins. The also sound amazing. Plus there's only three moving parts.


Listen to this sound.


So, there's still some measurements to make to see if my theory is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment